Birth Story

I’ve seen so many bloggers write their birth story and I think it’s such a great opportunity to record it both for me and for little Baby BUB.  I promise there are no gross details in here.
On Monday, March 19, I went for a routine doctor’s appointment at almost 32 weeks pregnant.  I had previously experienced high blood pressure and the protein levels found in my urine at the doctor’s office made the doctor admit me to the hospital for a 24 hour observation.  At that time, I did not have a bag packed, nor did I consider the option that I might leave the hospital without a baby still occupying my uterus.
Mr. BUB walked me to my hospital room and went home to pack my necessities.  I was immediately taken downstairs for an ultrasound, where I learned Baby BUB was measuring in the 29th percentile, a large drop from the ultrasound 12 days earlier.  The even higher protein results the doctor found the following morning confirmed preclampsia and led to her decision to admit me for hospital bedrest.
I was upset and bored the first full day there, not to mention frustrated.  Over the next few days, I met with a high risk OB and was informed that Baby BUB was definitely coming early.  The best case scenario would be that we wait to deliver until I was 34 weeks pregnant.  I was then scheduled to meet with a neonatalogist, a lactation specialist, and various other professionals to inform me what I’d face in the coming weeks.  I was also provided steroid shots in an attempt to mature Baby BUB’s lungs, since she was so early.
Friday, March 23, the doctor banned me from eating or drinking after midnight, until my lab work was returned the following day.  My continuously rising blood pressure, combined with my rising protein levels, were cause for alarm.  She placed the ban in case we would have to induce on Saturday.
I woke up Saturday, prepared to meet with the doctor and either get to eat breakfast or (and I really didn’t plan for this) have a baby.  The doctor’s usual time for rounds passed and I grew more hungry and less patient.  The doctor was held up by an unusually large number of women delivering.  I later learned that she’d delivered 7 babies before Baby BUB that day.  My family came to visit and decided to stay until word was received one way or the other.  Around 2:30 p.m., I was provided an IV to prevent dehydration.
Around 3:30 p.m., the doctor finally had a break from deliveries and came to see me.  She explained that my protein levels had soared beyond what she’d expected.  She had consulted again with the high risk OB and both felt it was time to deliver.  She provided the option to have a normal vaginal birth or a c- section.  She listed the pros and cons for each option.
The factors leading to the c-section included the fact that I was so early that my body was not prepared for labor.  I was guaranteed to spend approximately 12 hours preparing for labor, followed by another 12 or so actually in labor.  And I was not guaranteed to avoid a c-section after all of that pain.  Furthermore, the c-section would likely be less stress on the baby, and she was my main focus.  We made the decision and the pieces quickly fell into place for Baby BUB’s birth.
By 4:30 p.m., I was moved to Labor & Delivery for preparations.  At 5:37 p.m., Baby BUB entered the world.  Her umbilical cord was wrapped around her neck twice, which further confirmed our decision to have a c-section.  She weighed a tiny 3 lbs, 5 ozs and was breathing on her own.  We were able to see her briefly as the neonatologist whisked her out of the room.  She was smaller than I could have expected and a little purple, leading Mr. BUB to exclaim, “She looks just like a lizard!” and the entire operating room burst into laughter.
After confirming that she was stable, they brought her back into the operating room for me while I was being stitched back up.  It is at this point that Mr. BUB supposedly peeked over the curtain and saw my abdomen while cut open.  I was able to hold her for a couple pictures before she was taken to NICU.
I was moved to recovery and back in my normal room an hour and a half later. The next 24 hours were rough.  My blood pressure was still sky high, so I was not allowed to leave my hospital bed.  And subsequently, I wasn’t allowed to see my child.

Around 4 a.m. Monday morning, my mom had enough.  She found a wheelchair and took me up a floor to see my baby in NICU.  Since then, the recovery has been fairly easy.  My pain is minimal, I’m just exhausted from waking up to pump every 3 hours.  My blood pressure is still high, but it’s slowly stabilizing.

I’m still slightly in shock that she’s already here.  We thought we may end up with an April baby, but I never expected a March baby!  We are absolutely in love with our little girl and cannot wait for her to come home.

In other news, the nursery is almost done!  I promise to share pictures asap.